Mesothelioma is a rare cancer caused by asbestos, and many U.S. Navy veterans are at risk of developing this serious disease.
Thankfully, U.S. Navy veterans with mesothelioma or other asbestos-related diseases may be able to get compensation from Navy asbestos settlements. These settlements pay veterans $1 million or more on average.
The U.S. government and military aren’t sued when veterans pursue a Navy asbestos settlement. Instead, legal action is taken against the makers of the asbestos-based products that the veteran was exposed to.
Mesothelioma Navy settlements can be a big help to you and your family, allowing you to pay your medical expenses and rest easy knowing justice was served.
Get a Free Veterans Packet to learn more about Navy asbestos settlements and benefits that may be available to you.
Why Can U.S. Navy Veterans Pursue Asbestos Settlements?
Asbestos was thought to be a safe fireproofing and insulation material. Almost every U.S. Navy ship built before the early 1980s used tons of asbestos. Manufacturers knew the risks back in the 1930s but continued to profit from their carcinogenic (cancer-causing) products.
By the time the risks of asbestos became well-known, millions of people had already been exposed. It is now widely understood that asbestos causes mesothelioma and increases the risk of other diseases like lung cancer.
U.S. Navy veterans and shipyard workers account for one-third of all mesothelioma cases because asbestos was so widely used on Navy ships.
For these reasons, U.S. Navy veterans and their families have every right to pursue settlement money from the makers of asbestos-based products.
Recent U.S. Navy Asbestos Settlement Payouts
The average mesothelioma settlement is about $1 million, but some settlements pay out even more.
Navy asbestos settlements awarded to veterans with mesothelioma include:
- $3.4 million to a veteran from Illinois who served aboard the USS General Hershey
- $3 million to a Californian veteran and telephone technician
- $1.6 million to a veteran from Connecticut who served on the USS Will Rogers
- $1.3 million awarded to a veteran from Florida who served as a chief torpedoman's mate
Keep in mind that you may receive more or less money from a Navy asbestos settlement depending on which products you were exposed to, what type of illness you have, and many other factors.
An experienced asbestos attorney can give you an idea of how much money you could get from a Navy asbestos settlement. Call (877) 450-8973 now to learn about your legal options and find an attorney who can help you.
How to Get a Navy Asbestos Settlement
Pursuing a Navy asbestos settlement is easy when you work with skilled veteran advocates and attorneys. Learn how to seek a settlement below.
- Contact us for a free case review: This case review will determine if you can pursue a Navy asbestos settlement. Our veteran advocates will ask about your military service, if you were ever exposed to asbestos, and if you have a disease like mesothelioma or lung cancer.
- Connect with an asbestos lawyer: If you qualify, attorneys can start handling your case immediately. The Mesothelioma Veterans Center partners with lawyers who specialize in mesothelioma and asbestos cases.
- File a legal claim: Your attorneys will gather information and documents to build a strong case and file it in the court that gives you the best chance of success.
- Receive a settlement: Your attorneys will fight to get a Navy asbestos settlement for you in the shortest amount of time. Some veterans have started to get asbestos settlements in 90 days or less.
Most Navy mesothelioma cases reach settlement agreements, but a handful end up going to trial. A trial takes place before a judge and/or jury and could award more or less money than a settlement.
While trials are less predictable than settlements, your attorney will work hard to prepare your asbestos case and fight for the most compensation possible.
Navy Asbestos Settlements and VA Benefits Claims
U.S. veterans with mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases may be entitled to more financial aid through benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
VA benefits for Navy veterans with mesothelioma include:
- Low-cost or free mesothelioma treatment through VA health care
- Monthly disability compensation worth nearly $4,000 or more
- Payments for surviving family members or dependents
Pursuing a Navy asbestos settlement does not affect your ability to file for mesothelioma VA benefits. This means you can get settlement payouts and VA benefits at the same time.
The Mesothelioma Veterans Center can help you file for mesothelioma VA benefits right now.
Pursue U.S. Navy Asbestos Settlements
Navy asbestos settlements can help you and your family in many ways.
Compensation from a Navy settlement can cover:
- Lost wages if you or a loved one can’t work after a diagnosis
- Medical expenses (hospital stays, medication, treatment, and related costs)
- Household expenses (rent/mortgage, groceries, and more)
Your attorneys will do all of the heavy lifting to file your claim and negotiate a settlement. This means you’ll be able to focus on getting treatment and spending time with loved ones.
The Mesothelioma Veterans Center can help you find top mesothelioma attorneys who can handle Navy asbestos settlements from start to finish. Get started right now by calling (877) 450-8973.