U.S. veterans who were exposed to asbestos during their military service can file mesothelioma claims to access financial compensation. Money is available from manufacturers of asbestos products, trust funds, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Learn more about the mesothelioma claims process for veterans.
Why Can U.S. Veterans File a Mesothelioma Claim?
Veterans with mesothelioma can go through the claims process and receive compensation for a few different reasons.
Veterans can file a mesothelioma claim because:
- The only known cause of mesothelioma is asbestos exposure
- This cancer has no cure and treatments are very expensive
- Manufacturers of asbestos-based products sold their goods to the military and the general public without disclosing the health risks
- Veterans have a higher risk of mesothelioma since the military relied on asbestos between the 1930s and early 1980s
Mesothelioma claims award compensation from several sources, depending on how a veteran was exposed to asbestos.
Veterans can get money from:
A VA benefits claim awards financial compensation to veterans whose mesothelioma diagnosis is traced back to military service. It pays out thousands of dollars per month on average.
Through a legal claim, veterans with mesothelioma can receive money if they were exposed during military service and/or through non-military activities (like a job). No branch of the military or former employers will be filed against.
Asbestos Trust Funds
There is over $30 billion currently available in trust funds for those with asbestos-related diseases. Veterans can pursue asbestos trust fund claims even if they weren’t exposed while they served.
What Does the Mesothelioma Claims Process Look Like?
The mesothelioma claims process follows several steps. While it may be slightly different based on whether the veteran files with the VA, a manufacturer, or an asbestos trust fund, it generally follows the same overall course.
Here is what you can expect from the mesothelioma claims process:
1. Connect to Professionals
It is important to work with a professional with extensive experience in handling mesothelioma claims for the best possible results.
You can get help from:
- Mesothelioma Lawyers: These lawyers can help you file legal claims and asbestos trust fund claims. Some lawyers are even accredited by the VA to help you pursue VA benefits. Mesothelioma lawyers at national law firms have databases of information about the asbestos industry that they can use to build your case.
- VA Claims Agents: Claims agents help you file a VA claim and make sure you get all the benefits you are entitled to.
While you can technically file mesothelioma claims without help, you might make mistakes that prevent you from getting compensation. It’s much easier if you work with professionals.
2. Build a Claim
Once you agree to work with a professional, they will start to build your case. You won’t have to build the claim yourself.
During this time, they may request information and evidence from you to build the strongest claim possible.
This information may include:
- Medical records
- Military service roles
- Post-military job history
When you work with a VA-accredited mesothelioma lawyer, they will also do additional research to assist your claim.
Lawyers keep track of:
- Notable asbestos-based products and work sites
- Which manufacturers have established trust funds
- Testimonies and depositions from other mesothelioma victims
3. File a Mesothelioma Claim
Once your claim has been built, your lawyer or VA-accredited claims agent can file it.
- VA claims are filed with the U.S. military
- Legal claims are filed against manufacturers in courts of law
- Asbestos trust fund claims are filed with trusts
When you work with a mesothelioma lawyer, you won’t have to file the claim directly. Your lawyer can do it for you and save you the time and hassle.
4. Access Compensation
Once the mesothelioma claim has been filed, the appropriate parties then have to process it and next steps will be taken from there.
It typically takes 90 days or less to start getting money through the mesothelioma claims process. However, this time frame can vary depending on the details of each case.
Your lawyer or claims agent will notify you when you receive mesothelioma compensation. They will also keep you updated if any other information or additional evidence is needed as they work to get compensation for you.
Veterans: Get Help With the Mesothelioma Claims Process
Veterans with asbestos-related diseases deserve compensation, and they can get it through the mesothelioma claims process. This compensation can cover a wide range of expenses, from medical costs to grocery bills.
You don’t have to file a claim alone. Our team — including VA-accredited mesothelioma attorneys and caring Patient Advocates — is standing by to help you today.
Contact us today and see if you can start a mesothelioma claim right now. File a claim and get the assistance that you deserve.