The Knight Cancer Institute at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) in Portland, Oregon, is one of the leading cancer centers in the Pacific Northwest. Mesothelioma patients at the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute can expect to receive world-class health care. Connect with this hospital and other top mesothelioma cancer centers with our team’s help right now.
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd
Portland, OR 97239
General Thoracic Surgery Division Chair
Dr. Paul Schipper
About OHSU Knight Cancer Institute
The OHSU Knight Cancer Institute is a top hospital when it comes to diagnosing and treating mesothelioma, a cancer caused by asbestos exposure.
Nicknamed “the Knight,” the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute became a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-Designated Cancer Center in 1997 and was recognized as a Comprehensive Cancer Center in 2017.
The OHSU Knight Cancer Institute offers:
- Diagnostic services for early detection and prevention of cancer
- Guest lodging for patients and families who live outside the Portland area
- Many top mesothelioma treatments, including chemotherapy and surgery
- Nurses and dieticians to guide patients through care
- Palliative specialists for cancer care and easing anxiety and pain
- Social workers for resources, advocacy, and compassion
- Support groups, patient education, yoga, acupuncture, and other services
“I can’t say enough about the amazing care I’ve received at OHSU.”
— Lisa, OHSU mesothelioma patient
Learn how top mesothelioma cancer centers like the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute can help you or a loved one diagnosed with this cancer. Get a Free Veterans Packet now.
Quick Facts About OHSU Knight Cancer Institute
- U.S. News & World Report has repeatedly named the Knight one of the nation’s best cancer centers.
- It’s the only NCI Comprehensive Cancer Center in the greater Pacific Northwest.
- An OHSU mesothelioma patient was the second ever to receive a treatment called tumor-treating fields (TTFields) after U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval.
- It’s the headquarters for the Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) Cancer Research Network, an NCI-funded global research community that creates and conducts clinical trials to discover new cancer prevention strategies and treatments.
- OHSU has branches and clinics across Oregon, including in Beaverton, South Waterfront, and Marquam Hill.
OHSU Knight Cancer Institute Mesothelioma Treatments
The OHSU Knight Cancer Institute can treat mesothelioma using a variety of different options. Notably, this facility can treat both pleural mesothelioma (which forms in the lung lining) and peritoneal mesothelioma (which forms in the abdominal lining).
Key cancer treatment options include:
- Surgery: Doctors physically remove mesothelioma tumors from the body. Several surgeries are used to treat mesothelioma, depending on the type of cancer the patient has. These include cytoreduction in cases of peritoneal mesothelioma or an extrapleural pneumonectomy for pleural mesothelioma.
- Chemotherapy: The patient receives drugs to destroy cancer cells. OHSU oncologists (cancer doctors) often use hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) — heated chemotherapy — during cytoreductive surgery to treat peritoneal mesothelioma.
- Radiation therapy: High-powered X-rays or other forms of energy shrink mesothelioma tumors and destroy cancer cells.
- Immunotherapy: This is a type of medication that allows the body to fight mesothelioma more effectively.
- TTFields: Patients are equipped with electric pads that prevent mesothelioma tumors from growing. OHSU has been a leader in the study of how TTFields can help patients.
“The best course of treatment often depends on what is most important to you. At the Knight Cancer Institute, we use a team model to treat our patients. Experts in surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy and other fields look at your case together to recommend a plan.”
— OHSU Knight Cancer Institute
Want to find top mesothelioma treatments from cancer centers like the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute? Contact our team right now.
Mesothelioma Specialists at OHSU Knight Cancer Institute
The OHSU Knight Cancer Institute has many leading mesothelioma specialists on staff to help patients.
OHSU mesothelioma specialists include:
- Dr. Lisa Coussens: Dr. Coussens is studying how immunotherapy can help mesothelioma patients live longer.
- Dr. Paul H. Schipper: Dr. Schipper serves as Section Head for General Thoracic Surgery at OHSU. He can treat mesothelioma and a wide range of other cancers and illnesses using surgery.
- Dr. Divya Sood: Dr. Sood s an expert in using cytoreduction with HIPEC to help people with peritoneal mesothelioma and other cancers.
OHSU Knight Cancer Institute doctors from different disciplines work together to treat mesothelioma. This allows every aspect of a patient’s cancer care plan to be handled by a specialist.
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials at OHSU Knight Cancer Institute
Outside of traditional treatments, the Knight Cancer Institute OHSU conducts mesothelioma clinical trials and research programs to find newer therapies that may help patients.
More than 400 clinical trials for mesothelioma and other illnesses are run each year at OHSU, in addition to roughly 1,400 general research projects.
Notably, OHSU doctors track cancer patients’ progress so they can better recommend clinical trials through the Serial Measurements of Molecular and Architectural Responses to Therapy (SMMART) program.
OHSU has also been on the cutting edge in testing newer mesothelioma treatments that have shown success in clinical trials.
For example, OHSU doctors treated a woman with stage 4 mesothelioma using TTFields shortly after this treatment received approval from the FDA. At the time, OHSU was only the third medical center in the country that had the ability to administer this treatment. Thanks to the treatment, the growth of her mesothelioma tumors slowed significantly.
Talk to your mesothelioma care team to see if the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute’s clinical trials are a good match for you.
Mesothelioma Treatment Costs at OHSU Knight Cancer Institute
The treatment cost at the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute varies depending on your insurance and treatment plan.
Call OHSU’s customer service department at 866-617-6855 if you have questions about your medical bills.
There are other ways to pay for medical expenses besides insurance. For example, if you’re a U.S. veteran with mesothelioma, you likely qualify for monthly payouts through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
You may also be able to file a private claim to access mesothelioma compensation that can be used to cover your expenses.
Get Top Mesothelioma Care at OHSU Knight Cancer Institute
If you want to find high-quality mesothelioma treatments, the Mesothelioma Veterans Center can help you connect with the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute or another top hospital.
We have helped thousands of veterans and civilians with mesothelioma access treatment options, obtain financial compensation, and get VA benefits to fight asbestos-related illnesses like mesothelioma.
Call the Mesothelioma Veterans Center at (877) 450-8973 to learn more about your options. You can also request a Free Veterans Packet loaded with information about mesothelioma treatment plans, VA benefits, and the best hospitals for mesothelioma.